Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/zharth/zharth.tenjou.net/forum/includes/bbcode.php on line 483

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/zharth/zharth.tenjou.net/forum/includes/bbcode.php on line 483

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/zharth/zharth.tenjou.net/forum/includes/bbcode.php on line 112

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/zharth/zharth.tenjou.net/forum/includes/bbcode.php on line 112

[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3786: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:483)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3788: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:483)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3789: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:483)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3790: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:483)
Zharth's Forum • View topic - Otakon 2009

Login |  Register

Post subject: Otakon 2009
PostPosted: 090323 08:46 
Interactive Blogger
Interactive Blogger
I know there's absolutely nothing concrete about this but I've been tossing this idea around for months. In fact, I would say I've been tossing this idea around ever since all of us attended Otakon in 2005 (was it?).

Anyway, depending on what happens with my job situation, I'm really really really considering 1) Going to Otakon 2) Actually doing a cosplay.

I know Panda won't be able to attend should I go through with this, but perhaps Zep and Doug are down.

As for the cosplay, that is equally dependent on the job thing since I don't want to start plopping down cash for tools and material to make everything (or pay for someone to help me make a part or two). But... I am considering it.

Why? Well, I really enjoyed it. Quite frankly, Otakon 2005 with everyone was one of the highlights of my college career. It was a roadtrip, a social event, and a convention of the things we love all in one. When I look back at it, there was pretty much nothing negative about that trip, at least from my perspective. Maybe it's because I liked the vibrant atmosphere and excitement of large crowds (especially when they're all enthusiastic about the same thing!) but it was just downright cool to walk around and see everything.

Plus, should I move ahead with the cosplay idea, I would really want to pour some effort into it and produce a quality costume. I'm already thinking about how to craft the sword, mount it on my back, etc...

Does this intrigue anyone?

Profile  Offline

Post subject: Re: Otakon 2009
PostPosted: 090323 11:52 
Legendary Overfiend
Legendary Overfiend
I'm intrigued.

So you haven't given up on Zabuza, have you? :ninja:

I wouldn't say that there was *nothing* negative about the Ota2k5 trip (rooming concerns immediately spring to mind -_-;) - then again I'm less enthusiastic about crowds than I think you are - but overall it was an enjoyable experience. And I would love to experience another Otakon. Two things have, in the past, prevented me from doing just that, however. First is the matter of having people to go with. Going to a big convention like that alone would probably not be much fun, and the effort exerted for it would thus most certainly not be worth it. The other problem is, of course, money.

With that in mind, if it's all expenses paid, I'll tag along. ^^ Otherwise... I'd have to balance my anemic wallet against the potential worth of attending another Otakon (or, alternatively, the potential loss of missing out on such an opportunity).

With Tekko coming up, I too have been thinking about cosplay, though I'm not really in any position to do much about it, with that con less than two weeks away now. And, well, me not being much of a seamstress (or "fashion engineer", if you prefer). Though I have always wanted to do a decent cosplay for once. I don't think I really have it in me for anything too substantial, but if I *were* going to another Otakon, I might have to spend a little time looking for the right combo pieces to ramp up my (admittedly pathetic) casual Griffith cosplay, or perhaps a generic elf (something I think I could pull off).

Profile  Offline

PostPosted: 090324 03:00 
Interactive Blogger
Interactive Blogger
zharth wrote:
I'm intrigued.

So you haven't given up on Zabuza, have you? :ninja:

Glad to see that, haha, and you saw right through me. No I haven't given up on Zabuza at all. I've been thinking about it every now and then, moreso lately. And, I'd dare say that since it's been so long since anyone has seen Zabuza, I would have found the perfect balance for a cosplay: It's from an anime that's so very well known and loved, but Zabuza has been so long gone that it would take people a second to register. I mean seriously, didn't he show up somewhere between Naruto 15-30?

Plus, how could I NOT want to wield a Destroyer of Worlds? :lol:

As for the Otakon 2005 trip, I can see how the crowds were less pleasing to you than myself. Ditto on the room arrangement. It was annoying with that many people packed into the suite, sure, but I actually had a pretty good time sleeping there. You missed all the main room fun!

Nonetheless, I am pretty serious about making this happen. Regardless if anyone comes with me, I'm really tempted to go this alone... or I can always call up that girl I met there in 2005 (I actually have still kept in touch with her lol). Of course, the concern about not having a job means reality calls. Best part about it is that it's still only March so that means there's TONS of time left for Otakon for planning, costume making, etc... So, I'm hopeful. If you're serious about it, start considering the ways to save up money and how to make your costume.

Profile  Offline

PostPosted: 090324 04:26 
Interactive Blogger
Interactive Blogger
If you guys can decide whether or not you're going, don't forget that once preregistration opens, you get a bit of a discount... which decreases accordingly the closer the convention date is.

Profile  Offline

PostPosted: 090324 07:42 
Legendary Overfiend
Legendary Overfiend
July 17th-19th, 2009

That's a bit earlier than I remember it being in the past. Looks like prereg's already open. However, it seems the prereg discount is only a matter of $10 ($55 instead of $65), and the cutoff isn't till a month before the con (June 17th). Sooooo, it seems as though there's no real rush - assuming they don't sell out, if that's even possible.

Kashi wrote:
You missed all the main room fun!

Vomiting all over the beds? I think I had more than my fair share of the main room "fun" within an hour of being in there... The "B" room was also crowded though (I seem to recall sleeping on the inner window ledge?), so it was only meager recompense, yet recompense still.

Oh, and it may still be March, but it's almost April. :shock:

Profile  Offline

PostPosted: 090324 19:48 
Interactive Blogger
Interactive Blogger
zharth wrote:
July 17th-19th, 2009

That's a bit earlier than I remember it being in the past. Looks like prereg's already open. However, it seems the prereg discount is only a matter of $10 ($55 instead of $65), and the cutoff isn't till a month before the con (June 17th). Sooooo, it seems as though there's no real rush - assuming they don't sell out, if that's even possible.

Yeah that seems a bit sooner than usual... It used to be in August I thought. As for the prereg discount, I know it's only 10 bucks but I don't ever recall it being anything more significant than that, even when we went. On the other hand, good to see that the cutoff goes right up to a month before.

zharth wrote:
Vomiting all over the beds? I think I had more than my fair share of the main room "fun" within an hour of being in there... The "B" room was also crowded though (I seem to recall sleeping on the inner window ledge?), so it was only meager recompense, yet recompense still.

Oh, and it may still be March, but it's almost April. :shock:

Well... I wouldn't exactly say puking all over the beds. There was that guy right next to me that DID puke, although I was thankfully warned because he put his entire leg over me when he rolled around, and I got my sleeping bag out of the way in time. The ultimate result was that the other 3 people near him (this girl, this guy, and myself) ended up talking for a while, went for a walk around the floor, and in general had a pretty good time while puke-face got his shit together. Then, in the morning we all had a laugh as we tried to wake up "Snore-guy" (as we called him) to stop the fucker from snoring at 100 decibels.

Pertaining to the B room, I guess I didn't exactly see what it looked like in there when everyone finally settled down to sleep, lol. And yeah, I know, it's almost April. :?

Profile  Offline

PostPosted: 090325 00:00 
Interactive Blogger
Interactive Blogger
I don't think we were in the "B" Room, I was talking to some people I knew and we were tired of the noise, so we went to their room -- that was the Dattebayo Room, which was unassociated with Tofu-sensei's group... as far as I know. I don't remember much about it except talking with the DB people about the same stupid DB/fansub politics that we talk about online, then we all went to sleep.

Profile  Offline

PostPosted: 090325 00:29 
Interactive Blogger
Interactive Blogger
The DB room was the main room lol, at least that's the impression I got.

PS - Don't get mad that your room was the "B" room, get raped son. :badgrin:

Profile  Offline

PostPosted: 090325 00:45 
Interactive Blogger
Interactive Blogger
No, the suite was Tofu-sensei's room. The DB room was a regular room rented by the Datte Bayo people and (I think) somewhat paid for by the con itself as they were panelists.

Profile  Offline

PostPosted: 090325 14:56 
Interactive Blogger
Interactive Blogger
You can't just go ahead and claim that your room was a separate entity when it was part of the suite! It's not a sovereign nation! It wasn't a "regular" room by any means. It was just another room in the massive suite. You didn't choose from two doors when entering, you chose from one. Once inside, you then could choose to go left into the two beds in your room, or the living room/bathroom on the right. I can pretty much walk the layout of the room in my mind, and even remember some faces as well as actions that weekend.

And who was Tofu-sensei? The guy trying to get those rando nerdgirls drunk and into the tub in the master bath?

The room was rented by DB and split amongst 21-ish people as I remember. They all sat out on the table in the living room in the suite and subbed and played on their laptops and crap. If it wasn't rented by them and their stuff was paid for, then you lied to us and this tofu guy made money. >:(

Profile  Offline