Login |  Register

Post subject: Re: Otakon 2009
PostPosted: 090325 22:50 
Interactive Blogger
Interactive Blogger
No, the room was rented by Tofu-sensei, who ran a separate sub group called Live-eviL. DB had a different room that was completely outside of the suite, as far as I recall. It was the "quiet" room for people who didn't want to stay up all night or be kept up all night.

Tofu-sensei was the... I don't even know how to describe him, he was a white guy and brought over those Japanese girls for karaoke. At one point, he also mentioned that he'd seen L'arc or whoever the music guests were in the hall.

Profile  Offline

PostPosted: 090325 23:43 
Legendary Overfiend
Legendary Overfiend
Scott's right. I didn't realize that the other room wasn't in any way connected (socially/financially) to the first room, but it was indeed a physically separate room. We started out in the big room, and there was a smaller room off to the side. We set up in there at first, but then the vomit thing happened, and we (S, D, and I) were like, "we can't stay here". Apparently, this other room (the DB room) was available to us, so we moved. It was way down the hall, around the corner. Completely separate from the first room. And lots smaller.

Profile  Offline

PostPosted: 090325 23:44 
Interactive Blogger
Interactive Blogger
Yeah, I think it was just a standard double, with the couples in the beds and the rest of us on the floor, or the windowsill.

Profile  Offline

PostPosted: 090326 00:25 
Interactive Blogger
Interactive Blogger
There is no way in hell it was an entirely separate room unless we're confused over semantics. The room you guys were in was clearly part of the overall suite, which I have been terming "the room". Any specific sub-sections of "the room" are denoted, like "living room" or "master bedroom" or "master bath".

As for Live-eviL, I guess that makes sense given the partnership DB and them had in the past.

But you're still not getting me to budge on what "the room" contained. In fact, I could probably draw up a layout of the overall suite with hall outside in paint if you wanted me to, to prove my point.

Pre-posting edit: The board told me two new posts were made. But you guys are still wrong. It was in no way separate from the suite. It wasn't down a hall or around any corner. It was immediately next to the damn living room, IN the suite.

Plus, you guys keep saying it was financially separate. The arrangement was we each paid X, which was like $200ish to stay in a SUITE costing <=$2000 a night for the weekend. There would be 20ish people in the SUITE, which divvied up the price and made it reasonable. The more you tell me about this the more I feel like I was massively ripped off, and I gave my fucking money to you, Panda, when we paid.

Profile  Offline

PostPosted: 090326 00:37 
Interactive Blogger
Interactive Blogger
If anyone got ripped off, it would've been those of us who stayed in the DB room or the people who paid for the DB room, since we all paid tofu-sensei for lodging in the suite, but didn't stay. You were the only person who paid for the suite and actually stayed there and partook in the lodging and entertainments that were provided for in that 200-dollar cost.

Profile  Offline

PostPosted: 090326 00:49 
Interactive Blogger
Interactive Blogger
Hrm

Profile  Offline

PostPosted: 090326 00:51 
Interactive Blogger
Interactive Blogger
It may have all been paid for under the same "general fund", with the agreement being that the DB room would be the "quiet" room for the non-partiers. It was so long ago that I don't really remember the financial details anymore... but I'm confident that the room was not in the suite proper.

Profile  Offline

PostPosted: 090326 01:29 
Legendary Overfiend
Legendary Overfiend
There were two rooms. There was the sub-room of the main suite, which is the one you're talking about, Kashi, and then there was the separate room, which was down the hall and around the corner. We started out in the sub-room, but then the three of us moved down the hall and around the corner, while you stayed in the main suite. I remember this specifically, because Doug and I got locked out of the room in the afternoon on one day, and we had to go back to the main suite and ask around for somebody who had a key to the other room. We actually got approached and reprimanded by an angry bellhop for sitting in the hallway, while we were waiting for somebody from our room (the one down the hall and around the corner from the main suite) to come along with a key...

Profile  Offline

PostPosted: 090327 00:10 
Deserter
That russian guy? "I wasn't sure if I should have the third vodka but I'm glad I did... *BARF*!"

Sign Rothrock up and I'm there. Otherwise it would feel incomplete. I'm also free for another Harrisburg trip to see the machine. ;)

"I hardly ever leave my house or my neighborhood really, and that's not a sad thing." - Fiona Apple

"It's alright, ma. It's life and life only." - Bob Dylan

Profile  Offline

PostPosted: 090327 00:21 
Interactive Blogger
Interactive Blogger
You can't sign me up, I'm not flying back to America for a weird simulacra of a fantasy Japan when I live here.

Plus, it's expensive and I've never really enjoyed conventions anyway...

Profile  Offline