Login |  Register

Post subject: Claymore [Manga]
PostPosted: 090309 02:19 
Legendary Overfiend
Legendary Overfiend
Keeping up with a series one episode per week is one thing, but one chapter a month is tough. Claymore is a great series. The anime adaptation was good, but suffered in the ending. I enjoyed catching up on the manga after I first learned about the series. This was a rare case where I actually got to read the manga before seeing the anime adaptation. But now that I'm caught up, I can only read one new chapter a month (as that's how frequently they come out). At first, I was able to handle it, because the chapters were really good, and though short, felt as though they were worth waiting for. And that's not to say that the series isn't still as good, but the more months that pass, the more the overall story slips out of my mind, and the harder it is for me to just pick up the story at each individual chapter, month after month. I guess I could reread the previous chapter before reading the new one, but...I dunno.

Still, it is a good series. I just read chapter 88. Anybody else following it?

Profile  Offline

Post subject: Re: Claymore [Manga]
PostPosted: 090309 02:40 
Interactive Blogger
Interactive Blogger
I follow it sporadically; I tend to let chapters pile up so I can just go reread the entire thing and keep the "feel" of the story, which you said you're losing. It's easier for me to just read a bunch of chapters in one go, even if it's just four new chapters and five old chapters. Then again, if the suspense is just killing you, there's not much else you can do.

Profile  Offline

PostPosted: 090309 04:38 
Legendary Overfiend
Legendary Overfiend
Yeah, I should probably just let them pile up and read a bunch at a time. I do prefer being able to go through these things at my own pace. On the other hand, it's kind of exciting to be right on the cutting edge, while it's still being talked about. Not that I really talk about it with anyone...

But with a whole month between releases, everytime I start thinking, "huh, I haven't read Claymore in a while", it's only been a month since the last chapter I read...

Profile  Offline

PostPosted: 090309 05:59 
Interactive Blogger
Interactive Blogger
"only"...

I mean, think about a weekly release, for example. If you figure that the average manga releases 50 chapters a year (52 weeks in a year, miss a week for Golden Week, miss another for some other holiday or sick day), then that means that... Naruto, for example, has been running for almost eight and a half years. That's just mind-blowing -- to me, it's still the "new, cutting edge" manga... but to the kids in elementary school and junior high school, it's pretty much all they know. This is their Dragonball Z.

Profile  Offline

PostPosted: 090309 06:55 
Legendary Overfiend
Legendary Overfiend
Eight years? That is hard to believe. Although you showed the anime series to me back in college, early on, and that's already at least 4, 5, maybe 6 years ago (ugh). It does still seem pretty new, though, but that's because it hasn't really had a chance to finish yet.

On the other hand, the Berserk manga hasn't ended yet, but it doesn't feel as "brand new fresh" to me as it did when I discovered it 4, 5 years ago...

Then again, I'm not on the cutting edge for Berserk, since I'm content to wait for the English releases, since I respect the series too much to comp-read lo-fi scanlations (or whatever) of it - that, and it gives me something to savor and look forward to. So when I read Berserk, I feel like I'm reading something old instead of something new, because it actually is old, compared to the latest stuff that's being released...

Huh, it's kinda complicated. Still, here's a ninja smiley - :ninja:

Profile  Offline