Login |  Register

Post subject: Lucky Star OVA
PostPosted: 090301 03:20 
Legendary Overfiend
Legendary Overfiend
So has anybody else seen this? I kind of didn't know (or only vaguely knew) that it existed until yesterday. It's a single 40-some minute long episode. As with the rest of the series, I thought it was enjoyable, if not especially praiseworthy. Moe factor in the OVA is considerably high (not unusual for the series), and you get a lot of good scenes for each of the four core characters, as well as some lesser participation by some of the more minor characters. 'Skits' include an interesting segment where Konata gets the Hiiragi sisters to try out an MMORPG (a scenario that wasn't so alien to me, as it reminded me a lot of the time I was convinced to try playing Guild Wars), and another scene where Konata inexplicably gets hold of an actual magic wand (well, I guess it was a dream...), and proceeds to dress Kagami up in all sorts of cosplay against her will. Also included at the end of the OVA is an extended live action Lucky Channel, which was kind of hit and miss for me. Overall though, I'd recommend the OVA to Lucky Star fans. If you liked the series, you'll like the OVA, as it's basically more of the same.

P.S. Konata x Kagami fans get a nice little treat (in addition to the usual) in this episode. ^^

zetsubou shita!

*tsun-tsun*

Tohsaka Rin cosplay!

Kagamiku - Kagami as vocaloid idol Hatsune Miku!

Profile  Offline

Post subject: Re: Lucky Star OVA
PostPosted: 090301 03:26 
Interactive Blogger
Interactive Blogger
I've not seen it yet... I haven't really been in the right "otaku" mood for Lucky Star. One of the best points about Lucky Star is also one of its worst points... the fact that it has so many in-jokes and is obviously an otaku anime. As much as I'm a geek and I like anime/manga, I'm not so much of an otaku. I don't get in-depth enough and I don't, I guess, care enough about the show/characters. I'm certainly not one for the merchandising, either. Lucky Star sometimes catches my interest and sometimes not, based on whether or not I'm in the mood to be bombarded with otaku culture.

The main thing I did like about it was that it was a "slice of life" anime that had everyday humor... but that's what other people seemed to hate; when they changed directors or whatever, the show took a much more otaku bent that made it popular with otaku culture, but less popular with me.

Now that you've piqued my interest, I'll probably go download it today and put it on my list of things to watch. I'm not all that excited, though, since it looks like a lot more otaku culture and in-jokes for the sake of having... well, otaku culture and in-jokes to appeal to the otaku out there.

One of the things I really don't get is the tendency of fans to make slash pairings. I've never been that fan and probably never will be -- just watching/reading something is good enough for me.

Profile  Offline

PostPosted: 090301 04:25 
Legendary Overfiend
Legendary Overfiend
Yeah, I don't really have much interest in the "slash" culture, when it extends beyond the series itself, into the obsession zone, but I'm not above rooting for pairings that have considerable relevance within the series. Like harem series, for example - it's natural to have preferences for certain pairings over others, based on who you like, but then those series are built on that sort of mechanic, and pairing up is inevitable. Although, when I watch series and get into the characters, I tend to be more interested in the *individual* characters I like and not whatever pairings may or may not exist. (And otaku or no, I have considerably more interest in Kagami than Konata :D )

You're right about the early change of direction for the series. I love the otaku in-jokes (how can you not love Tohsaka Rin cosplay?), but you have a point in that it seems like an appeal to popularity, taking that route and ditching the 'mundane' slice-of-life aspects. I remember when you had me watch the very first episode. The characters sat around for five minutes discussing how to eat a certain kind of food or something, prompting initial comparisons (not only in my head, I'm sure) to Seinfeld, the show popularly about nothing. I think it would have been fascinating to continue in that vein, but it would probably have been far less consistent in terms of humor. And thus, not surprising that they went for the otaku jokes.

Profile  Offline

PostPosted: 090301 04:55 
Interactive Blogger
Interactive Blogger
My big hope for the series was that it would be the next Azumanga Daioh -- I think I carried those expectations for a while and viewed the series in that light even longer, which made me temporarily like it a lot more than I actually did...

Profile  Offline