Login |  Register

Post subject: Gake no Ue no Ponyo (Studio Ghibli)
PostPosted: 090227 11:10 
Interactive Blogger
Interactive Blogger
This is a Ghibli film that is definitely aimed at little kids, with the main character being a little kid who finds a fish-girl that turns into a mermaid... that's a little kid.

That having been said, I enjoyed it. I don't mind kiddy films/stories, and I can get sucked into them just as much as I get sucked into an overwrought drama about war and how people are affected by it. Looking back at it, the conflicts seem pretty bland and the setting itself works against any real drama -- you know nothing bad is going to happen.

Despite that, I still remember being sucked into the film, wondering what was going to happen next or whether something terrible would come about. I suppose I could chalk that up to the Japanese penchant for tragedy, whether it's in anime or drama. There's almost something Shakespearean or karmic about it -- nothing good can happen without some really bad shit going down.

Well, none of that in Ponyo. It's just a light kids' tale.

One of the more interesting things about Ponyo is the art -- it's very old-school. Everything looks very fluid... and at times, reminiscent of Fantasia, rather than The Little Mermaid.

It's certainly worth a watch if you have time.

Profile  Offline

Post subject: Re: Gake no Ue no Ponyo (Studio Ghibli)
PostPosted: 090228 04:39 
Legendary Overfiend
Legendary Overfiend
I have to admit, your description isn't really pulling me in. Granted, I've never been huge on Ghibli or Miyazaki. I've generally liked what I've seen, sure, but it just feels too commercial, or too cartoonish for my tastes. And I'm the type that gets irked when people call anime cartoons.

Profile  Offline

Post subject: Re: Gake no Ue no Ponyo (Studio Ghibli)
PostPosted: 090228 11:37 
Interactive Blogger
Interactive Blogger
I liked it if only because it was a light-hearted romp that shows the goodness in the human heart.

I don't have any objection to seeing the good in people, as long as it's done well.

I also don't have any objection to seeing the worst in people... as long as it's done well.

The problem for me is that a lot of stuff in the modern era seems to be focused on the popular fetish for "grim" and "realistic" -- there's just too much of it out there. I don't really want to watch a story about a stupid chump who's abused by bad people and comes out of it with knowledge that doesn't really do much for him. I'd rather watch an interesting story about the best of us. After all, which am I striving to be more like?

So yeah, I liked it.

Profile  Offline