Login |  Register

Post subject: Mod Requests
PostPosted: 090325 04:37 
Interactive Blogger
Interactive Blogger
I might end up being the only person who uses it, but... there's an RSS feed mod that seems like it would be useful. This way I'd be alerted whenever there's a new post and would nkow to go read/reply.

This mod for presenting a PM notification also seems like it would be useful, if anyone uses the PM system. I know I almost always ignore blocked popups.

Profile  Offline

Post subject: Re: Mod Requests
PostPosted: 090325 17:03 
Interactive Blogger
Interactive Blogger
I just click "view new posts" and "view your posts" when I'm active on the board to see if anything's been updated.

As for PM notifications, unless you guys are PMing a bit, I don't think we have the readership to necessitate it. >.>

Profile  Offline

PostPosted: 090325 22:45 
Interactive Blogger
Interactive Blogger
The idea is to know without actually having to come to the board... and when something is updated. I could be sitting around doing a lot of nothing, not knowing that a thread has been posted in -- a RSS feed would alert me shortly after the thread was updated.

Also, if I'm going to come to the board, I can spot new posts by the icons, heh.

Profile  Offline

PostPosted: 090326 00:17 
Interactive Blogger
Interactive Blogger
I guess I just look at it as superfluous. I have yet to find anything out there that I consider so vitally important that I require instant notification should something pop up.

I suppose part of my hesitation stems from the fact that I don't want to allow myself to get addicted to that kind of access. I don't want to turn into an email junkie, or a twitter junkie, or an RSS-feed to ____ junkie. Plus, it just gets worse because when there actually isn't anything new because then you sit around knowing that you have access but nothing's showing up! So time actually seems to pass by even slower, making the wait for new information agonizing. Are you picking up what I'm putting down?

Profile  Offline

PostPosted: 090326 00:39 
Interactive Blogger
Interactive Blogger
No, I'm staring at it like a pile of poop.

It's not that I'm a junkie sitting around waiting for it -- I do other things. But sometimes, when I don't have anything in particular to do, it's nice to know that there IS something else available that I would be a lot more interested in, whether it's a blog post, a news article, or yes, a forum post here.

It's not that I sit around because there's nothing on the feed, but that the feed helps break my normal sitting around routine when I've run out of things I want to do. I could live without RSS pretty easily and just go back to checking sites manually; it's pretty pointless if you don't really check sites regularly.

I mean, yeah, it's not for everyone; I use it an I like it. It makes life more convenient for me.

Profile  Offline

PostPosted: 090326 18:41 
Legendary Overfiend
Legendary Overfiend
Is this topic for Mod Requests, or discussion of the relative worth of using RSS feeds? :P

Scott wrote:

Implemented. Let me know if there's any problem with these two mods.

Notes: The RSS feeds can be found by clicking on the icon up in the address bar on your browser. The PM popup notification can be enabled in your User Control Panel.

Profile  Offline