Login |  Register

Post subject: New Emoticon Suggestion!
PostPosted: 090324 07:17 
Interactive Blogger
Interactive Blogger
I have some really great emoticons that I imported into MSN Messenger and use when talking to Panda. Take a look and see if they can be worked into the forum. From a brief initial talk with Panda, they're transparent at least (no white block background thank goodness). Essentially they're just gifs. The only nuisance is that they have a wee bit of fuzz around the outside. Perhaps that is because of the really dark background here. I have no knowledge of how to make a gif so I don't know if that fuzz is fixable.

Here's 3 samples. If the rest are desired I can easily just rar up the two dozen or so of em and attach it to a post.

Attachment:
actingcool.gif
actingcool.gif [ 12.17 KiB | Viewed 7580 times ]
Attachment:
angry.gif
angry.gif [ 5.4 KiB | Viewed 7580 times ]
Attachment:
bye.gif
bye.gif [ 11.03 KiB | Viewed 7581 times ]

Profile  Offline

Post subject: Re: New Emoticon Suggestion!
PostPosted: 090324 07:32 
Legendary Overfiend
Legendary Overfiend
Hm, wow, those are kinda large. As for the fuzz, that was a problem with the initial smilies for the board. I had to find ones designed for use over dark backgrounds and replace the originals. Kind of a pain. I don't know where you got those emoticons, but is there any possibility that there's a matching set for dark backgrounds, which would eliminate the fuzz problem? Otherwise, they could either be modified manually (kind of a pain in the butt), or you could just sack up and accept the fuzz. Actually adding them to the forum shouldn't be much of a problem, itself, I suspect. But, are you sure they're not too big??

Profile  Offline

PostPosted: 090324 07:34 
Interactive Blogger
Interactive Blogger
You could also resizethem, which may also make the fuzz more bearable.

Profile  Offline

PostPosted: 090324 19:40 
Interactive Blogger
Interactive Blogger
zharth wrote:
Hm, wow, those are kinda large. As for the fuzz, that was a problem with the initial smilies for the board. I had to find ones designed for use over dark backgrounds and replace the originals. Kind of a pain. I don't know where you got those emoticons, but is there any possibility that there's a matching set for dark backgrounds, which would eliminate the fuzz problem? Otherwise, they could either be modified manually (kind of a pain in the butt), or you could just sack up and accept the fuzz. Actually adding them to the forum shouldn't be much of a problem, itself, I suspect. But, are you sure they're not too big??

Well, to kind of hit up what you said in order:
I found these on the hentaipalm forums, strangely enough. The very first time I saw them was when this girl on MSN used one or two. I was pretty blown away because they were really neat. Given that knowledge, the backgrounds for both of those places are gray and white, respectively. I'm not aware of a set of these made for dark backgrounds. As for manual modification, one of us could do the work (or all of us can) although I would need to be instructed on how to do that. I'm also willing to accept that little bit of fuzz. As for being too big, I like them that way (I mean, I like large avatars, etc). I think resizing them down significantly would lead to a loss of detail (which they do have). If a resize would be done, I would recommend trying a few different resizes. Say, maybe, 90%, 80%, and 70%.

Profile  Offline

PostPosted: 090325 00:30 
Interactive Blogger
Interactive Blogger
I think you could resize them 60-70% smaller without really losing much detail, though I'm not entirely confident about how well it would reduce the fuzz.

As far as removing the fuzz, you'd have to get an animated gif editor (for example, Animation Shop Pro or ULead GIF Editor) and edit each frame pixel by pixel to ensure that there are no white pixels, but you'd have to do it with a light eraser to keep the black outlines from becoming chunky blocks of pixels. It's a pain in the ass.

Profile  Offline

PostPosted: 090325 00:32 
Interactive Blogger
Interactive Blogger
Scott wrote:
but you'd have to do it with a light eraser to keep the black outlines from becoming chunky blocks of pixels

I followed you up to this point. Light eraser? Makes me think of my light shields...

Profile  Offline

PostPosted: 090325 00:47 
Interactive Blogger
Interactive Blogger
There are a bunch of different kinds of erasers -- hard erasers that erase 100% of the currently selected pixels, and lighter erasers that erase varying degrees of the selected pixels and a little bit of the nearby pixels, resulting in a "faded" effect rather than a hard, blocky erase. Sometimes hard erasers are referred to as "pencil-style erasers", with the two main drawing tools being pencil (crisp, blocky outlines) and brush (a softer outline).

Profile  Offline

PostPosted: 090325 14:48 
Interactive Blogger
Interactive Blogger
Ahh, ok, thanks for the explanation.

Profile  Offline

PostPosted: 090325 22:44 
Interactive Blogger
Interactive Blogger
Yeah, so if you want to try downloading one of the programs I mentioned (Animation Shop Pro, for example, has a 30-day free trial with all features) to see how it looks when cleaned up, go for it.

Profile  Offline

PostPosted: 090326 00:11 
Interactive Blogger
Interactive Blogger
Yeah but like... how do I actually use these programs? You explained a high-level description: Open it, go through frame by frame, use this light eraser, save and close? That's it? Are the programs easy to use? Remember, I have zero knowledge of how to use photoshop so if this is like it I'm equally confused. Maybe I should just try it...

Then again I'd really rather know whether Zep is going to use these or not before I overhaul each and every one. >.>

Profile  Offline