Login |  Register

Post subject: The Photographers' Thread
PostPosted: 090313 10:58 
Legendary Overfiend
Legendary Overfiend
Since my photostream is practically a ghost town, I'm gonna try posting a few photos in here. You're welcome to do the same. Note that this thread is for photos that you've actually taken, not pix you found on the web that you really like. Comments/constructive criticism is encouraged. No pressure, but if anything at all comes to mind when viewing these photos, please don't hesitate to speak up. :)

Lemon Chalet Cremes

Notes: A simple enough theme - Girl Scout Cookies :D . Rendered in diptych (two-panel) form to allow an encompassing view of the stock as well as a better look at the detail on the cookies. I have a fondness for strong contrast, so I actually found myself having to dial back the contrast for a less dramatic - but more appropriate for a picture of cookies - effect.

Profile  Offline

Post subject: Re: The Photography Thread
PostPosted: 090315 08:45 
Interactive Blogger
Interactive Blogger
I really wish I had some girl scout cookies. I've always been a fan of the Samoas -- or Caramel Delites as they're known in some areas.

Profile  Offline

PostPosted: 090315 10:47 
Legendary Overfiend
Legendary Overfiend
I like the Samoas. Some people are turned off by the coconut, but that's a taste I acquired a while ago. Thin Mints are good, too, and I am of course a sucker for the chocolate peanut butter ones, whatever they're called.

The Lemon Chalet Cremes, in addition to the lemon filling, boast a hint of ginger/cinnamon. They're not bad a 'tall.

Heh, I think this thread is turning into the Girl Scout Cookies thread...

Anybody wanna talk about pi?

Profile  Offline

PostPosted: 090316 10:50 
Legendary Overfiend
Legendary Overfiend
Modern Technology

Took this one today. I like the angle. And I also like the shape of the hand, which is considerably more interesting and dynamic than in my preliminary shots. It's hard to see but winamp is playing Neil Young and Crazy Horse - Love And Only Love (Ragged Glory version). The program I'm running is OpenSim, which is the open source version of Second Life. Very bare bones currently, but the direction it's headed in is exciting. Desktop wallpaper features the all-seeing eye of "Back Beard", father of the semi-official Sankaku Complex demon loli mascot Beako (not visible in this shot).

Profile  Offline

PostPosted: 090317 00:09 
Interactive Blogger
Interactive Blogger
I just realized that this might belong in The Arts somewhere... after all, it's photography.

I want to get a dSLR at some point, especially after newer models start coming out that focus more on low-light photography instead of more megapixels. I also want to get a decent compact camera -- again, hopefully with more low-light emphasis. While I was initially thrilled with my current camera, it's at a frustrating stage of "almost", where it's almost small enough to take it everywhere I want, but not quite... almost good enough to take the kinds of pictures I want, but not quite.

How long til we have bioengineered cameras that use human eyes as the mechanism? Hm.

Profile  Offline

PostPosted: 090317 00:53 
Legendary Overfiend
Legendary Overfiend
Scott wrote:
I just realized that this might belong in The Arts somewhere... after all, it's photography.

That was a concern for me when I first started the thread. I wasn't committed to starting up a whole 'nother subforum just for a single topic, though, and it didn't quite seem to fit in the previously existing ones, so I just put it here. There's always room for a change in the future.

Scott wrote:
I want to get a dSLR at some point, especially after newer models start coming out that focus more on low-light photography instead of more megapixels. I also want to get a decent compact camera -- again, hopefully with more low-light emphasis. While I was initially thrilled with my current camera, it's at a frustrating stage of "almost", where it's almost small enough to take it everywhere I want, but not quite... almost good enough to take the kinds of pictures I want, but not quite.

Obviously, I'm interested in low-light photography, given my penchant for darkness and shadows. On a related note, the 30 second exposure on my dSLR is awesome, and quite useful in a lot of the dark spots I frequent. Yet, I kinda wish I had the option to take even longer exposures. And maybe not even for low-light situations, but just for the sort of tricks that only work with really long exposures. I dunno, like the passage of stars, or writing with light, stuff like that...

Ouch, on the "almost" conundrum. I can feel you there. Having that dSLR is awesome. It's powerful, and versatile, and it's nice to be able to actually take high quality images for once. And yet still, I find myself wishing I hadn't lost that camera at Burning Man, and not just because of the pictures I lost, but because it was actually a pretty decent camera for its size, and still quite pocketable. (My other old camera, on the other hand, is not only larger and thus somewhat less pocketable, but also much worse quality, and really not worth the trouble of using anymore...). There are just some places where lugging around a bulky dSLR simply isn't feasible, and it'd be nice to have a camera on hand to take those random, unplanned shots. :?

Profile  Offline

PostPosted: 090317 00:58 
Interactive Blogger
Interactive Blogger
I think there are third-party firmwares and the like that can provide extra functionality, like... infinitely long exposure times. It might be worth looking into.

For compacts, low-light to me doesn't mean darkness or anything close, but the abililty to take good, clear pictures in relatively normal conditions... without using a flash. I want to be able to take pictures that actually resemble what my eye sees in normal conditions without that washed-out or overlit feeling that a flash gives. I also hate it when blacks are completely merged or really splotchy.

Profile  Offline

PostPosted: 090318 00:32 
Legendary Overfiend
Legendary Overfiend
Scott wrote:
I want to be able to take pictures that actually resemble what my eye sees in normal conditions...

This is really the ultimate struggle, isn't it? I remember being pissed about that a lot with the lesser cameras I've used. I try to avoid using the flash whenever possible, as natural light, or I guess, ambient light, since light bulbs aren't really "natural", is nice. Though not always cooperative. Being able to adjust the exposure is helpful, and I've become kind of dependant upon the magical white balance fix that I never really had before. I still find some lights harder to deal with than others, though. That's where you just have to experiment.

Here's my shot for St. Patrick's Day:

The Nome King's Treasury

The idea was to take a picture of a bunch of green things, since green is my favorite color. If you're curious about the items pictured, they're all labeled on the Flickr page, and you can also enlarge the image there. The title comes from the film Return To Oz - specifically, the scene towards the end where Dorothy goes into the Nome King's treasure room, containing various trophies recovered from the ransacking of Emerald City, and has to find and touch the right one or risk being turned to stone (or something similar). That film made an impression on me, probably because it was considerably darker than the Wizard of Oz. And of course, being a lover of the color green, the whole 'emerald trophy room thing' has always stuck in my mind.

Profile  Offline

PostPosted: 090318 06:06 
Legendary Overfiend
Legendary Overfiend
Budding Memories

For the "Spring is in the Air" challenge. I peeked out the window this evening and saw the heretofore bare branches covered in little buds. The process has begun.

Profile  Offline

PostPosted: 090323 07:59 
Interactive Blogger
Interactive Blogger
I don't have a camera. Even if I did I probably wouldn't take pictures. :\

Hey Zep I lol'ed at your qtpi thing. :lol:

Profile  Offline