Rare Item Locations
And other less-known secrets
___One of the greatest feelings in the realm of RPG-gaming is the satisfaction of finding some secret item or weapon, or beating a secret boss(I remember fondly the time I conquered the great Dragon Lord in FFV and acquired the godly Ragnarok sword which I did not even know existed). As for all of this Website, read ahead at your own discretion. Although it can be great to find things on your own, sometimes there's just something you can't find on your own. In that light, I have provided locations and descriptions of some of the best and coolest secrets to Final Fantasy VI!
- Ragnarok - The Ragnarok is equivalent to the strongest sword in the game with a battle power of 255. When used, the Ragnarok randomly casts Flare. To get the Ragnarok, talk to the man in the Weapon Shop in Narshe in the World of Ruin (use Locke to open the door) and ask him to change the stone into a sword.
- Illumina - The Illumina is the strongest sword in the game and randomly casts Pearl, with a battle power of 255. The only way to get the Illumina is to bet the Ragnarok at the Coliseum and win against the tough Dullahan.
- Economizer - The Economizer relic reduces all MP consumed to one. This means that you can cast Ultima, Life3, X-Zone, Flare, or any other spell for a mere one MP! There are three ways to get the Economizer. The expected method is to kill the Brachosaur in the forest shaped like a dinosaur north of the Veldt. The Brachosaur appears very rarely and is extremely tough. If you beat it, you're still not guaranteed to win the Economizer, so you may have to fight quite a bit to get it. The next method is to bet the Gem Box at the Coliseum and beat the Sr. Behemoth, but it may not be such a good idea to get rid of the Gem Box, even for the Economizer. The final method for getting this incredible relic is to steal it from Aquila, which is a bird-type monster wandering around Phoenix Cave where you find Locke. It takes a lot of luck, though, to get the Economizer.
- Exp. Egg - The Exp. Egg doubles the Experience recieved in battle, thus making the user increase in level twice as fast! To get it, you must solve the puzzle in Daryl's Tomb by reading all four tombstones in the one room and then etching them, in order, on the blank tombstone in another room. The order isn't too difficult to figure out: The words spell out backwards the infamous phrase, "The World is Square."
- Paladin Shield - To acquire the Paladin Shield, you must fight in battle 255 times with the Cursed Shield equipped. The Paladin Shield is the strongest shield in the game and teaches Ultima at 1x. (Use this shield to learn Ultima if you chose the Ragnarok sword, since Ragnarok is the only Esper that teaches Ultima. This way, you can have the strongest sword AND the strongest spell in the game!) Get the Cursed Shield in Narshe in the World of Ruin; use Locke to open the house up the stairs directly North from the Weapon Shop. Tip: while breaking the curse on the shield, you'll probably want to equip the person who's wearing it with a Ribbon to eliminate most of its adverse effects.
- Crusader - In my opinion, the best Esper in the game, Crusader is the only Esper who teaches the awesome Merton spell. Crusader also has the best summon spell, entitled Purifier. To get Crusader, you must defeat all 8 Legendary Dragons located across the World of Ruin. Check the Boss Strategies section to find the locations and tips for beating all 8 dragons: Storm, Ice, White, Red, Blue, Dirt, Gold, Skull.
- Gogo - Not an item, Gogo is one of the two secret characters in FFVI. He is a mime, and can perfectly mimic the actions of any of your other characters. You'll find Gogo on the north-eastern Triangle Island in the World of Ruin, after your entire team is Engulfed by the Zone Eater monster. Find Gogo on the lowest level, but be careful of all the traps.
- Umaro - Umaro is the second secret character. He is a yeti, or sasquatch, and lives deep in the mines of Narshe behind the ledge where Tritoch resides. Kill Tritoch and then you'll be able to hop off the ledge. After beating Umaro in battle, he will join your team, but he only listens to Mog, so make sure you have the moogle in your team to get him. Umaro is a berserker who attacks on his own. The only thing you can equip him with is the Bone Club and the Rage Ring and Blizzard Orb relics.
- Atma - Atma is pure sweetness. That's right. Atma ranks among those immortal and unforgettable nightmare creatures of other Final Fantasy's such as Warmech, Wyvern and Ogopogo, Omega and Shinryu, Ruby Weapon and Emerald Weapon, Ultima Weapon and Omega Weapon... Atma Weapon the sword can be found in the Cave to the Sealed Gate in the World of Balance, and it increases in power as you do. Atma Weapon the beast stands blocking your way on the Floating Continent and is pure energy. Atma in its most glorious form can be found sitting in the dungeon cell in Kefka's Tower at the end of the game. Check the Boss Strategies section for more info...
- Sky Render - The Sky Render is the most powerful of Cyan's blades(battle power 215). Win it after the battle with Doom in Kefka's Tower. Tip: If you don't need the Aura Lance, bet it at the Coliseum and beat the Land Worm and you'll get another Sky Render. You can then equip Cyan with both Sky Renders, a Genji Glove, and the Offering, and you'll have a physical powerhouse!
- Excalibur - The Excalibur is one of the most powerful swords and can be used by Celes, Edgar, Locke, or Terra. The Excalibur has a battle power of 217. Win it from the Goddess in Kefka's Tower.
- Aura Lance - The Aura Lance is the most powerful lance(battle power 227) and can be used by Mog or Edgar. Win it after the battle with Poltergeist in Kefka's Tower. Tip: if you don't need Cyan, you can bet the Sky Render at the Coliseum, beat Scullion, and get another Aura Lance. Now you can have one for Edgar and one for Mog. Or better yet, you can equip either Mog or Edgar with a Genji Glove and the Offering and both Aura Lances, and you'll have a Lancer Powerhouse!
- Offering - The Offering is a relic which allows the wearer to get four hits in a single attack. If you equip a character with a Genji Glove and the Offering, suddenly you get eight hits! This relic is good for characters with a strong physical attack, such as Cyan or Edgar. The Offering is won from the KatanaSoul located in the Ancient Castle under Figaro in the World of Ruin. Check the Boss Strategies section for tips on how to beat KatanaSoul.
- Gem Box - The Gem Box changes Magic into X Magic, allowing the wearer to cast two Magic spells in one turn. It is a powerful relic for a magic-oriented fighter(I suggest Terra, especially when Morphed). To get the Gem Box, you must ascend to the top of the Tower of Fanatics where you can fight only with magic. Cheat: take Mog and use the Moogle Charm, thus making the difficult trip a joke. You'll have to beat the MagiMaster before you'll be able to escape the Tower with the Gem Box, check Boss Strategies to find out how to beat him. Tip: Use the Gem Box with the Gold Hairpin and you can cast two spells for the price of one! Or, combine the Gem Box with the Economizer for an even better deal!
- Graedus - Much like the Assassin Dagger in FFV, the Graedus is the strongest knife in the game and can be used by almost anyone. To get it you'll have to overpower the Master Pug, which is a tall task. Check the Boss Strategies to find out how.
- Charm Bangle - The all-too-useful Charm Bangle reduces those annoying random enemy encounters to make for a more peaceful adventure. The only way to get it, though, is to act satisfactorily at Gestahl's Dinner, which means talking to all the people before dinner and answering all the questions correctly at dinner.
- Moogle Charm - Even greater than the Charm Bangle, the only flaw to the Moogle Charm is the fact that your Moogle friend is the only one who can use it. Equip it on Mog and suddenly you'll find yourself wandering through any dungeeon in the game with not a single interruption in the form of random enemy encounters. That's right, the Moogle Charm eliminates any and all random enemy encounters. I'm sure you can think of tons of ways to make use of it, but you can't get it until after you find the airship in the World of Ruin. Head to Narshe and you'll find it on the wall right where Mog is standing waiting for you!